The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot is a community-driven program. It’s designed to spread the benefits of economic immigration to smaller communities by creating a path to permanent residence for skilled foreign workers who want to work and live in one of the participating communities. This pilot is community-driven, meaning the communities will assess prospective candidates who
- best fit the economic needs of these community
- have a genuine employment opportunity that meets their community requirements
- have the intention of staying in the community
To be eligible for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program, you must meet all IRCC eligibility requirements. You must
- have qualifying work experience or have graduated from a publicly funded post-secondary institution in the recommending community
- meet or exceed the language requirements
- meet or exceed the educational requirements
- prove you have enough money to support your transition into the community
- intend to live in the community
- meet community-specific requirements
If you meet all of the requirements, you can start to look for an eligible job in the community.
About the process
There are 4 steps to applying for permanent residence under this pilot.
- Check that you meet both
- IRCC eligibility requirements and
- The community-specific requirements.
- Find an eligible job with an employer in one of the participating communities.
- Once you have a job offer, submit your application for recommendation to the community.
- If a community recommends you, apply for permanent residence.
Each community will also have its own
- additional eligibility requirements
- job search process
- community recommendation application process
This information will be available on its website. The communities participating in this program are as below:
- North Bay, ON
- Sudbury, ON
- Timmins, ON
- Sault Ste. Marie, ON
- Thunder Bay, ON
- Brandon, MB
- Altona/Rhineland, MB
- Moose Jaw, SK
- Claresholm, AB
- Vernon, BC
- West Kootenay (Trail, Castlegar, Rossland, Nelson), BC